Membership of ISRS is open to anyone interested in any aspect of coral reefs. While the society‘s membership consists principally of researchers, managers and students interested in the science of coral reefs and associated ecosystems, others with an interest in, or concern for, reefs of any type are most welcome.
The benefits of membership include:
- Receipt of the Society’s scientific journal Coral Reefs (either print or electronic)
- Receipt of and the right to publish in the Society’s on-line news journal Reef Encounter
- Reduced registration fees for the International Coral Reef Symposium and other meetings sponsored by the Society
- The right to be nominated for one of the society’s awards, including society fellowships and young scientist awards
- Access to the Society’s on-line resource, including the on-line Membership Directory
- Eligibility to stand for election as an Officer or Councillor
- The right to vote in elections of Officers and Councillors, and at General Meetings
There are four classes of membership:
- Full Membership
- Student Membership
- Family Membership, and
- Sustaining Membership.
A member's subscription rate depends on three main factors:
- On the Class of Membership.
- On whether you wish to receive hard copies of the society's Journal Coral Reefs, or are happy to have on-line access only.
- On the economic status of your Primary Country of Residence. Note that it is the mean income level of the country, not of the individual member, that is relevant.
In addition, there are now three special concessions available.
A. If you are willing to pay your membership dues for three years ahead, then the Society offers a 10% disciount.
B. Members who first joined between July 2015 and June 2016, most likely in connection with the International Coral Reef Symposium held in Honolulu, Hawaii, in June 2016, are especially welcome to remain, and participate in the Society’s many activities. As a special incentive to encourage such new members to stay with the Society, we are offering them a one-off 20% discount on membership dues. This can be combined with the 10% discount for members paying for 3 years ahead, so that members who joined the Society for ICRS13 and would like to pay their membership for three years ahead can obtain a 30% discount. To take advantage of this offer login to your account by clicking on the left-hand bar below and select the relevant renewal rates.
C. Students or past-students, if they have NOT YET obtained employment (two-thirds time or more), may continue as (or newly join as) a student member, at the heavily discounted student rate. Such members may continue to pay student member rates for a maximum of 10 years from the time they first became a student, following which additional evidence will be required to substantiate their student or non-employed status.
For more details of membership categories and subscription rates, and to apply for a new membership, please go to the page entitled: Joining ISRS or Renewing your Membership.
Membership subscriptions and services (including on-line access to Coral Reefs) are handled on the Society's behalf by the Schneider Group. You may contact them at the following address:
ISRS Membership Services
Schneider Group Meeting & Marketing Services
5400 Bosque Blvd Suite 680 Waco, Texas 76710-4446 USA
More general enquiries or correspondence related to the society may be addressed to the Corresponding Secretary, Dr. Rupert Ormond (firstname.lastname@example.org).